The media and the market are flooded with ads about beauty and health products that are marketed to different consumers of different ages. Considering the huge population of prospective consumers, a lot of marketers fail to notice that the health and beauty habits change as one ages. And by having less knowledge about this, marketers often fail to have the tactics and strategies to sell out their products.
It is an advantage for marketers to know the beauty and health consumption habits by different age groups to have a clearer insight on which age group to target and which consumer trends to accommodate.
Market Issues Scrutinized
- The behavior towards solutions to aging problems has shifted to “preventive” rather than “curative” answers. This makes young consumers to be included as a target for anti aging-aging beauty products.
- Having a limited income makes consumers settle for products with much more quality to cut down their consumption. This means that people are more willing to spend more money to get quality products if that means that they won’t have to buy time and time again. The age group that has been observed to exhibit this behavior are the young adults.
- What has been targeted often as consumers are teens and early teens as they have been observed to opt for beauty and health brands that are more adult-like, described to have more complicated behavior. But not all of them directly purchase products for beauty and health. A lot of parents are keeping their eyes on their consumption, preventing them to have products that are not appropriate for their age.
- Most marketers fail to see the older age group when it comes to male grooming products. Young adult men have always been exposed to “for men” brands and products. What’s needed is more encouragement on the use of health and beauty products for the part of older men. Mid-Lifers should also be given much attention because they become more concerned with their appearance as they grow older.
- The anti-aging concept is extended to other markets other than skin care. As an example, over-exposure to the sun has been a proven factor that causes the premature aging of skin. As an answer to this, manufacturers have incorporated SPF protection in make-up products. Some sun care products have started to incorporate ingredients used in anti-aging skincare products.
- The individualism trend among early young adults has been a great influence on their health and beauty consumption. Early young adults have that desire to step out of the norm, as such products, like limited editions, exudes more appeal to them.
- Older consumers are undervalued and are failed to be seen as targets for a lot of health and beauty products. Marketing is usually directed to the young adult age group, marketers should be able to recognize the complex needs of this older age group as well.
Looking at the health and beauty consumption of the different age groups will definitely give marketers a better insight on what to target as it allows them to understand the health and beauty needs of people at different ages.